He accused La Liga president Javier Tebas of trying to damage Barcelona’s reputation. He also attacked their rivals, Real Madrid, which joined the prosecutorial case against Barcelona, saying that Real had always been historically favorable to refereeing.
Read also | Arsenal held off West Ham, Man Utd moved up to No. 3 thanks to a 2-0 win over Forest
Spanish prosecutors last month filed a complaint against Barcelona over payments of 7.3 million euros ($7.95 million) from 2001 to 2018 to firms owned by Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira.
Negreira was vice president of the referee committee of the Spanish Football Association from 1993 to 2018. The Barcelona court agreed to accept the case for review. UEFA has also launched a formal investigation into a possible violation of the legal framework of the European soccer governing body because of the Negreira case.
Laporta said at a press conference that Barcelona, in dealing with Negreira, had sought technical advice from a man who had made a career in soccer.
This advice does not constitute any misconduct or criminal offense, he said. Standing in front of a box that he said contained 629 technical reports, 43 CDs and four additional reports, Laporta said the professional advice was done transparently and that the accounts recorded in Barcelona’s accounting system had passed fiscal scrutiny.
The Spanish Tax Office has sent a letter to the prosecutor’s office saying that it cannot prove that payments to companies linked to Mr. Negreira influenced the result of any match, he said.
Laporta also called on UEFA to be fair to Barcelona during the investigation. La Liga told Reuters on Monday that it would not comment on Laporta’s accusations.
The Nergreira case should be fully investigated by the appropriate authorities, she said.
In March, Tebas said he had reported the incident to UEFA because, under Spanish sports law, no punishment could be imposed because three years had passed since the alleged violations. Reuters asked Real Madrid to comment on Laporta’s remarks.
Alves initially said he did not have sex with a woman, but eventually changed his story. He said he tried to save his marriage by not first admitting to ssexual intercourse. The player reportedly told the judge that a mutual sexual attraction existed between him and the woman from the moment they met in the nightclub.
The court denied Alves’ request for bail during the investigation, saying he risked absconding. No trial has yet been scheduled.
The victim’s attorney, Esther Garcia, said Monday that she expects Alves to remain in jail during the investigation. Alves’ attorney, Cristobal Martell, told local media that he was satisfied with Alves’ testimony. He is expected to ask again for bail for the player.
Alves was detained based on evidence gathered during the initial investigation by authorities and testimony from the player himself, the alleged victim and witnesses.
According to Spain’s sexual consent law passed last year, sexual assault encompasses a wide range of crimes, from online insults and groping to rape, each with different possible penalties. In the case of rape, the maximum penalty could be 15 years.
Alves, 39, has won 42 soccer titles, including three Champions Leagues with Barcelona and two Copa Americas with Brazil. Last year he played in his third World Cup in Qatar.
A week after a draw with Liverpool by the same score, Mikel Arteta’s team lost to relegation-fighting West Ham at London Stadium.
Gabriel Jesus and Martin Odegaard gave Arsenal the lead, but after a Saeed Benrachma penalty and another Jarrod Bowen goal, the Gunners were able to extend their lead over second-placed Manchester City to four points.
Defending champions City have a game in hand and also host Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium later this month.
Very disappointed, Arsenal manager Arteta said after the game. The way we started was great again, we were in complete control and then we lost the goal.
We gave them hope, missed a terrible penalty and then gave them credit. We got on a roller coaster of things going our way, corners and throw-ins, and we never got away from it.
City narrowed the gap to three points over Arsenal with a 3-1 win over Leicester on Saturday.
But there was no sign that the Londoners felt the pressure in the early stagesThe first game of the match was held on Sunday, when City took the lead in the seventh minute thanks to a goal by Jesus, and Odegaard added a second goal in the 10th minute.
West Ham had a chance to get back in the game when Gabriel fouled Lucas Paquette in the box and referee David Coote pointed to the spot.
Benrahma scored in the 33rd minute, making the score 2-1 at halftime.
Arsenal had a chance to regain a two-goal advantage nine minutes after the game resumed, also from the dot. Antonio was penalized for foul play in the penalty area, but Bucayo Saka was unable to take advantage, his shot missing.
The visitors almost immediately paid the price for that wastefulness: in the 54th minute, Bowen volleyed to level the score.
A player who shoots a penalty misses a penalty, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t, Arteta said.
It was a similar story as last week when Arsenal led 2-0 at Liverpool, but the Merseysiders were able to bounce back and snatch a draw.
It could have been worse for Arteta when Antonio got up to take a pass, but his shot came to the outside of the post.
The draw gave West Ham a four-point lead from the relegation zone.
Man Utd climbs to No. 3
Anthony was on top as Manchester United beat Nottingham Forest 2-0 in the Premier League on Sunday, days after the Brazilian was named by manager Eric ten Hague as a player who can kill opponents.
Anthony scored one goal and made another at the City Ground as United climbed to third place and took another step toward Champions League qualification.
Signed for $95 million from Ajax, Anthony opened the scoring by crossing the ball over the goal line after Anthony Marcial’s shot was saved by Keylor Navas in the 32nd minute.
And after Forest’s goalkeeper, on loan at Paris Saint-Germain, made a series of saves to prevent United from increasing its lead, Anthony became a provider, creating Diogo Dalota in the 76th minute.
Barcelona, which played last weekend in a 0-0 draw with Girona, still has a solid lead over second-place Real Madrid in the standings, but a draw has reduced it to 11 points with nine games to go.
The visitors to Barcelona had two opportunities to take the lead in the 25th minute when Rafinha was brought on but the Brazilian winger’s shot hit the post and AlejandeBalde’s roo from the rebound also hit the post.
But in the absence of injured players like Pedri and Ousmane Dembele, the two main creators this season, Barça was dumb in attack despite dominating possession, and their passing was not as nimble.
In the second half, Barça striker Robert Lewandowski, La Liga’s top scorer this season with 17 goals, blocked a header, and Getafe keeper David Soria also prevented Rafinha from making an accurate save.
In the 87th minute, Getafe nearly snatched three points on the counterattack when the ball went to Borja Majoral, but the striker’s shot from long range missed the goal.
Next Sunday, Barcelona hosts Atletico Madrid, while 15th-placed Getafe, four points above the relegation zone, plays away against Mallorca.
Rüdiger exchanged a few words with some fans shouting at him before handing over his jersey and greeting some fans. Two men, who appeared to be Madrid employees, approached the player to lead him away from the fans. The incident occurred after Madrid’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Cadiz.
Read also | Premier League: Manchester City defeated Leicester City 3-1
Spanish soccer has been marred by racism this season, with Rüdiger’s teammate Vinicius Júnior the target of attacks during several matches. Earlier this month, the Brazilian striker testified against a Mallorca fan who was accused of calling him a monkey during a match. The same fan was also accused of insulting Villarreal midfielder Samu Chukwueze during another championship match.
The Spanish league has filed several official complaints with the authorities about the insults against Vinicius, some of which have already been shelved. The league also recently increased the number of observers at Madrid matches to identify offenders. Valladolid recently suspended 12 season-ticket holders while it investigates alleged verbal abuse against Vinicius.
Spain’s first trial against a racially abusive fan is expected to begin this year, following remarks made by an Espanyol fan to Athletic Bilbao striker Iñaki Williams several years ago.
Earlier today, footballer Ciro Immobile suffered a distortion injury to his spine and a compound fracture of the right XI rib, Lazio said in a statement.
Read also | Premier League: Manchester City defeated Leicester City 3:1
Condition at the moment is good. The footballer remains under observation at the emergency department of the Agostino Gemelli IRCCS University Polyclinic in Rome.
Sky Sport Italy reported that Immobile was riding in the car with his two daughters. The 33-year-old striker told police that the streetcar allegedly ran a red light. Seven people, including streetcar passengers, were also taken to the hospital for examination. Immobile has scored 10 goals in Serie A this season, putting Lazio in second place in the standings behind leader Napoli.